As of the 1st August 2016 the following changes to Trainee cards will be introduced:
- The card will be red and clearly marked “Trainee”. Their occupation will no longer be displayed on the card.
- The card will be valid for 5 years however this will be non-renewable.
- Before the card is issued the candidate must register for a recognised construction related qualification
- Like the green labourers card the operative will still need to do the touch screen test but won’t have to attend the one day health & safety course.
- The operative will need to gain their qualification before the trainee card expires.
- Once they have completed their training and have the qualification they can then apply and move onto a skilled CSCS card.
- By introducing the trainee card it will allow others to clearly see that the trainee is in the process of obtaining qualifications.
So why the changes ?
Currently, Trainee Technical, Supervisory and Management (TSM) card holders mistakenly consider that SSSTS, SMSTS and NEBOSH qualifications will allow them to progress to a skilled card. This leads to frustration when they realise they cannot progress to a CSCS skilled card.
Ensuring Trainee cards are only issued to those who have registered for qualification that lead to a skilled CSCS card is seen as a practicable step towards achieving industry’s desire for a fully qualified workforce.