How it works
- Apprentice attends our Roofing College in Ipswich 1 day a week and works with employee the other 4 days on ‘on the job training’
- Apprentice studies towards a Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard in Slate & Tile Roofing.
- Apprentices studies include theory and practical training.
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for learners aged between 16-24 that want to pursue a career in Slate & Tile Roofing.
- On completion of this apprenticeship, slaters and tilers will be able to:
- Carry out a range of job tasks including measuring, marking out, fitting, finishing, positioning and securing
- Install plain tiles, interlocking tiles, natural slates and fibre-cement slates
- Install underlay, battens and related roofing components
- Install pre-formed lead and/or proprietary flashings
- Install dry and wet fixed products to verges, hips, ridge and valleys
- Install insulation and ventilation products for warm and cold roof construction
- Install roof windows and flashing kits
On completion of this apprenticeship, slaters and tilers will have knowledge of:
- The principles of slating and tiling and how they are applied in routine tasks, such as, setting out roofs, installing insulation, underlay and other background materials, installing main roof coverings, fixings, fittings and components, ventilation and dry fix systems, roof windows, mixing and applying mortar and installing pre-formed lead and/or proprietary flashings
- How to use key dimensions relating to batten gauges and minimum and maximum head lap
- How to strip and reclaim slates, tiles and fittings for re-use
- How to check areas to be covered, including correct installation of cavity trays, fascia board height, barge boards, hip and valley construction, penetrations, and masonry
- How to requisition slating and tiling materials, such as tiles, slates, underlay, battens, fixings and related materials, fittings and components
Full course overview here: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/roofer/
This course covers a period of 12-24 months and candidates will attend day release off the job training at the roofing college/ roof training centre once a week. The remainder of the time is spent with the employer on site, gaining the experience necessary for the end point assessment that is taken at the end of the apprentices learning.
£11,000 available per learner.
View our policies page here